Pan-Fried Soft Tofu
For a quick, vegan, protein-packed dinner with tons of savoury flavour, I choose pan fried tofu. It uses the most basic ingredients and goes well with anything.
Servings: 1 bowl
- 1 tube silken tofu or soft tofu 250g to 350g; see Note 1
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or tapioca starch (arrowroot) 30g
- 1 tsp garlic powder 3g *optional
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or 1/4 tsp fine salt 2g
- 2 tbsp cooking oil 25g; use one with a high smoking point like avocado oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce 15g
Drain the tofu and pat dry thoroughly with a kitchen towel. Gently slice into 1-inch thick pieces.
Mix cornstarch, garlic powder, and salt together in a bowl. Add tofu pieces to this bowl one by one and coat each side in cornstarch. (Add more cornstarch as needed.)
Add oil to a wok or skillet on medium-high heat. If you have a laser thermometer, the pan should read 400 °F. Add tofu in a single layer; they should start sizzling instantly. Fry in batches if you have to (replenish the oil if it gets absorbed).
Flip the tofu as they brown on the bottom until all sides are crispy and golden, being careful not to break them apart. Once they're done, transfer them to a plate or bowl.
Drizzle with soy sauce and eat as is or read above for 3 ways to take this recipe further.