Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Test
We put an old chocolate chip cookies recipe to the test to find ideal baking times and temperature. Result: some of the best cookies I've had! The original recipe is as follows (with my modifications in brackets).
Servings: 48 cookies
- 2 cups shortening I used 375 g of Crisco
- 2 cups brown sugar I used 1 cup, which is about 210 g
- 1 cup white sugar I used 3/4 cup, which is about 160 g
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 10 g
- 3 eggs
- 4½ cups all purpose flour 540 g
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup nuts I omitted these to make purist chocolate chip cookies
- 1 package chocolate chips I used 210 g
Cream shortening until smooth (about a minute).
Add sugar gradually until incorporated.
Add vanilla and eggs, beating well after each egg.
Sift flour, salt, and baking soda into a separate bowl, and mix well.
Add to creamed mixture until incorporated.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Per results of my tests (see Notes), my recommended baking time is 12 minutes at 350 °F, after waiting for the dough to chill fully in the fridge (at least two hours).