Oil-Free Turkish Lentil Soup (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
Cuisine: Turkish, Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes minutes
Servings: 2 bowls
Cost: $0.57 per bowl
This vegan dump-and-go red lentil soup is one of my mom's favourites. It's convenient, and the Turkish spices are so flavourful, you won't miss the extra fat.
- ½ cup red lentils 100g
- ¼ okara from 1 batch of Homemade Soy Milk *optional; see Note 1
- 1 medium onion, sliced 200g
- 1 medium carrot, diced 90g
- 1 small potato, diced 70g
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp urfa biber + more to taste; see Note 2 for substitutions
- 1 tsp salt 6g
- 3 cups water 720g
- 2 tbsp lemon juice from ½ lemon
- pul biber or red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley
- fresh mint or dried mint
- lemon slices
Add red lentils, okara, onion, carrot, potato, cumin, urfa biber, salt, and water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot or slow cooker.
For Instant Pot: use Pressure Cook setting on High mode for 15 minutes, followed by a full natural release (15–20 minutes).
For slow cooker: slow cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
After cooking, stir in lemon juice. Check the consistency and add more water if you'd like a thinner soup.