Lentil Miso Soup with Kale
- 1 large potato 250 g
- 1 can green or brown lentils or 1 cup dried red lentils (200 g); see Note 1
- 6 cups water 1450 mL
- 6 cloves minced garlic 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 tbsp white miso aka "shiro," "sweet," or "mellow" miso
- 2–3 cups kale 60–90 g; see Note 2
- handful shredded nori *optional
- Add all ingredients except nori to the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 2 minutes. Quick release immediately.
- Add all ingredients except nori to a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 7–10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with nori strips. Enjoy hot and steaming!
- You may also use other varieties of lentils. For dried green or brown lentils, or whole red lentils, double the cook time.
- Spinach or cabbage can be used in place of kale—add them towards the end of cooking.
A High Protein Twist on a Traditional Soup
Miso soup is a go-to when I’m craving something savoury. It’s usually eaten as an appetizer before a main, but I wanted to make a full meal of it because ain’t nobody got time to cook a three-course meal during exam season. This Instant Pot lentil soup preserves that earthy, umami flavour of miso, and bulks it up with lentil and kale for a boost of vitamins and protein. With 15 g of protein per bowl, you’ll have no problem getting in enough protein for the day!
(Want another delicious, low-cal, and vegan lentil soup recipe? Check out my Savoury Lentil Soup. If you have red lentils, you might be more interested in this Turkish Lentil Soup.)
Nutrition, Cost, and Emissions Information
Each bowl of lentil miso soup is 265 cal, costs $0.57 per serving, and releases 145 gCO2e of carbon emissions into the atmosphere.
Calculation for full recipe as written (4 servings):
Feel free to contact me for sources on the nutritional and carbon emissions information presented here. Note that I am not a nutritionist and guidelines on this page are provided for informational purposes only.
1 thought on “Lentil Miso Soup with Kale”
Pingback: Savoury Lentil Soup in the Instant Pot ⋆ real ordinary food