ORIGINS: Shichimi tōgarashi (七味唐辛子) is a blend of seven or more spices popular in Japanese cooking. It’s quickly become one of my favourite spice discoveries and I’m constantly experimenting with adding it to different recipes, which is how these shichimi-seasoned potatoes were born!
Shichimi Togarashi Roasted Potatoes
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil sunflower oil, or other high-smoke point cooking oil
- 3 –4 medium potatoes 1 lb or 454 g
- 1 tsp salt or 1½ tsp kosher salt 6 g
- 1 tbsp shichimi togarashi 5 g
- Wash and scrub the potatoes (peeling is optional). Cut into 1 to 1½-inch pieces.
- Add potato pieces into a bowl, followed by salt, shichimi togarashi, and oil. Toss to coat evenly.
- Roast at 400 °F for 20–25 minutes or until lightly browned.
I use an oven thermometer to verify the baking temperatures in my recipes. Many ovens tend to run cooler than their stated temperature, so the roasting time stated is just a guideline and you should use your own judgment towards the end of roasting to get the potatoes to a colour you like.
How to Serve
Where to Find Shichimi Togarashi
I get my shichimi togarashi blend from Silk Road Spice Merchant which delivers to Canada and the US. Don’t buy too much at once, because the flavour only keeps for half a year at best. Although I have to say, my 80 g bag is disappearing rapidly.
I’m also planning to do a whole bunch of recipe posts highlighting this ingredient for those of you trying to find ways to use it. Keep an eye out for more vegan shichimi togarashi recipes in the coming months!
Subscribe to the Real Ordinary Food newsletter
to be notified when new shichimi togarashi recipes get posted to the blog.
Nutrition, Cost, and Emissions Information
Each serving of shichimi togarashi potatoes is 219 cal, costs $0.52, and releases 305 gCO2e of carbon emissions into the atmosphere.
Calculation for full recipe as written (2 servings):
Feel free to contact me for sources on the nutritional and carbon emissions information presented here. Note that I am not a nutritionist and guidelines on this page are provided for informational purposes only.